IBC (Tianjin) Industrial Co.,Ltd supply ASTM A252 pipe pile in Grade 1, 2, and 3. Outside diameter sizes range from 1/2 inch to 100 inch, wall thickness schedule up to SCH 160. Millimeter from 2.0mm to 100+mm. Pipe types could seamless or welded ERW, LSAW, SSAW. Surface coated available in 3PE, FBE, Galvanized as requested by customer according to projects need.
IBC (Tianjin) Industrial Co.,Ltd supply ASTM A252 pipe pile for decades years. We supply pipe pile under specification A252 as range below:
- Steel Grade: Grade 1, Grade 2 and Grade 3.
- Size: from 1/2 inch to 48 inch in seamless and welded.
- Thickness: from 1.5mm to 40+mm;
- Schedule: Sch STD, 40, XS, 80, XXS, 160
- Length: SR/DR (Single random / Double random) and customized
- End: Beveled End, Plain End, or Grooving End.
- Coating: Galvanized, Color coated, FBE, 3PE and customized.
What is ASTM A252?
ASTM A252 is the Standard Specification for welded and seamless steel pipe piles. As a result, it covers the nominal wall thickness of cylinder-shaped steel pipes, not rectangular pipes. These round pipes are used for piling purposes, acting as a permanent load carrier and bearing force. Furthermore, they serve as a tank shell for filling with concrete piles at project site.
American Standard ASTM A252 is pipe piling material standard that has widely used in constructions and structural buildings. A252 specification includes three grades (1, 2, and 3), Grade 3 pipe piling material is the most used option. This standard stated the values units in inch-pound (also could translated to SI units), which provides the reference A252 pipe data to engineer or designer, for a strength base of the constructions.
ASTM A252 Chemical Composition
The ASTM A252 standard specification only defines the content of phosphorous, the other elements are based on general carbon steel materials. P (phosphorus) has a maximum limit of 0.050% in the standard, since it makes steel fragile, and most importantly it does not facilitate welding.
Reference standards for making ASTM A252 pipe
- ASTM A370 inspection methods and definitions for mechanical test of steel products.
- ASTM A751: Chemical analyze test methods.
- ASTM A941: Terminology for carbon, alloy and stainless steel.
- E29 practice for to use significant digits in test result to decide the conformance with specification.
In the process of manufacturing, pipe will have some defects when welding. So it must specified the allowance of the defects. Generally the surface imperfections that exceed 25% called defects. And for the defects that do not exceed 22.5% of the nominal wall in depth could repaire by welding. Before do butt welding for two pipe pile, these defects shall remove completely.
ASTM A252 Pile Pipe Material and Manufacturing Types
According to ASTM A252, pipe piles can be made in seamless or welded processes. Seamless pipe piles include hot rolled or cold drawn seamless pipe, thermally expanded seamless pipe, ERW (electric resistance welded), flash welded, fuse welded, and submerged welded SSAW or LSAW. Longitudinal or helical spiral welded.
ASTM A252 Steel Pipe Pile has Three Grades.
Based on the tensile strength and the yield strength the ASTM A252 is classified into three categories and grades: ASTM A252 Grade 1; Grade 2; and ASTM A252 Grade 3. And ASTM A252 Grade 3 is the most used pipe piling materials. In three grades of this standard, ASTM A252 Grade 3 pipe piling is the most common and used in piling activities. Because it has a higher tensile strength (455 Mpa or 66,000 psi) and yield strength (310 Mpa or 45,000 psi).
Raw Material Making Process.
Raw material iron and steel make through the process of Open-hearth, Basic-oxygen, Electric-furnace.
What Info. Required When Purchase ASTM A252 Pipe Pile?
Before purchase the pipe piles under ASTM A252 specification, below information require
- a. We need information – quantity in feet, meter, or number of lengths
- b. Material Name in steel pipe pile
- c. Manufacturing types in seamless or welded (ERW, EFW, LSAW, SSAW)
- d. Steel Grades (There are three levels of ASTM A252 Grade 3, 2, and 1)
- e. Size (OD and nominal wall thickness, schedule in ASME B36.10)
- f. Pipe Length in SGL, DGL or fixed length (5.8M, 11.98M or other length).
- g. What types of ends will you prefer? Beveled or plain ends
- h. Inspection related and shipping mark according to your requires.
Testing for ASTM A252 Pipe Piling in SMLS and Welded
Firstly, Material Analysis.
- Heat Analysis —— Limits to elements P, and heat result shall be reported in MTC to customer.
- Product Analysis —— Test frequency shall be determined by the pipe diameter, where, under 14 inch 2 samples per 200 pieces, 14 to 36 inch 2 samples per 100 pieces, above 36 inch is 2 per 3000 ft.
- Tensile requirements —— Values shall be complied to the above tensile strength and yield strength. It shall be noted that if got a vague yield point, then to test yield strength corresponding to a permanent offset of 0.2% of the gage length of the sample specimen, or to test a total extension of 0.5% of the gage length under load.
Secondly, Weight and Dimension Tolerances.
Pipe pile weights per units (Feet, meter or lengths); Tolerance allowed: A252 pipe pile weight shall be in +15% or -5% of theoretic weight. OD tolerances at +/-1%, wall thickness +/- 12%. Lengths: As specified SRL, DRL, or fixed length 20 ft or 40 ft and customized.
Thirdly, Hydrostatic Test.
Different than other pipelines hydrostatic test is not specified in ASTM A252 pipe specification. As normally piling pipe is filling with cement and concrete and forming. Not for liquid transmission, so hydrotest not required. That is different between pipe manufactured under other specifications.
Fourthly, Different Test Methods for Seamless and Welded Pipe Piles.
Seamless, welded (Longitudinal or Spinal welded) test methods are different. Check ASTM A252 pipe standard specification for more details. But all of these types tested in a room temperature.
Pipe Piling Prospective and Applications
Nowadays pipe piling developed to a direction with deep distance and big diameters usage, because the constructions, buildings, bridges now is getting higher even super higher. In United States or Japan steel pipe pile length has reached to 100 meter, diameters reach to 2500 mm. And in China even more.
The pipe pile provide by IBC Metal Group under ASTM A252 has a cylindrical structure that carries the load. And it ideally suited for many applications. Such Buildings, Retaining walls and different structures that need a tough base. They have the expertise to maintain highly qualified materials delivered to the customers that will assure high profits for them.
After the testing all pipe are in high quality. This ensures that the structure is solid, dependable with the highest quality that will guarantee the toughness which meets the international quality requirements.
Contact with IBC Group today!